Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:06:08 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: AC converted to 134
Comments: To: honemastert <honemastert@GMAIL.COM>

You mentioned being in AZ. I lived in NM for a time.

In NM I found my AC didn't work so well there, even though everything was up to snuff. I wonder if it has a lot to do whith how much humidity is in the air. NM is almost as dry as AZ. While living there, I found that air conditioners were not the thing to have in your home in that dry climate, but instead ......swamp coolers!!

As you probably know, a swamp cooler - essentially a pump, a sprayer, and a fan - sprays a fine mist into the dry air being moved by the fan, and the water instantly evaporates into the dry, hot moving air, and the evaporation cools the air. A swamp cooler can actually cool to the point of making one feel the need for putting on a light coat to break the chill.

With an air conditioner, part of the process is to remove water from the air, by condensing and removing the water vapor in the air by passing the air over cooling coils. This chilling of the air removes the moisture and results in a cooler, drier air that instantly evaporates moisture from the skin, thus having a very definite cooling effect on the body. Thus we feel that the AC is functioning properly. If the moisture is not removed, the AC shows noticably poor performance. One cause for failure to remove the moisture is the refrigerant is low or leaked out, or, there is such low moisture in the air to begin with that the AC cannot do it's job, even with everything working properly.

Just my $0.02 on AC's in very dry, hot climates.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver