Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:14:49 -0500
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC converted to 134
Comments: To: Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>

Keith,

I don't have envirosafe in my van, but I have put it in a '92 Cherokee and a Saab 900 with good results. It cools well and the high side pressure is less than with "freons". For me the main attraction is that you don't need to change the oil when you start from an r-12 system. Other list members have also had success with it ("Robert Cardo" comes to mind; check for his posts back in May). Others are very opposed to the use of flammable refrigerants, and I hope we don't start that argument again. In many states I believe it is illegal for a certified tech to use it, so you may have to do it yourself; you do have a gauge set don't you?

I converted my '91 GL to 134a before I found out about envirosafe. I'm quite satisfied with the cooling, but I have to add 1 or 2 cans per year because of leakage.

Larry A.

Keith Ovregaard wrote: > Keith H and all who have responded... > > I know this is a bit long-winded, but it sure would be great to find the > best solution to making the AC work properly. > > I live near San Francisco in Larkspur and even though we do have a few > 100+ days. the norm is more like mid 80's and the 84 Westy does not get > exposed to much extreme heat. Also the AC has been out for a few years > (although it cooled OK, just barely, in the past using the old R12 on a > 90° day). I get the feeling that the 134 conversion I did was not a > great idea and has been a very expensive lesson in AC technology. I have > also found some info on several 134/R12 alternatives (Duracool, > Maxifridge) from listers and local mechanics. Maxifridge states on its > website the following: > "Enviro-Safe Refrigerants are hydrocarbon refrigerants that are > ultra-efficient . > 6 oz. of Enviro-Safe is equivalent to 18 oz. of R-12 or 16 oz. of R-134a. > 12 can/cases of ES-12a can be ordered for only $59.00" > That's cheap! The R12 here has been going for $75-80/lb and 134 is not > so cheap either. Has anyone tried the alternative stuff? > I wonder if the compressor does not have to work so hard using something > besides 134, maybe it won't shut down when it gets so hot.