Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:02:59 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      THANK YOU! [vanagon] lister needs help on the road - headlight
              gremlin in 86 wes
Comments: To: vanagon@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: terrapincampers@optonline.net

apparently y'all helped jim fix his headlight problem.. he is back on the road..he sends his thanks to everyone who responded.. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------

fwd message from: Jim King terrapincampers@optonline.net ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------

Subj: THANK YOU! [vanagon] lister needs help on the road - headlight gremlin in 86 westy Date: 7/19/05 11:25:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time From: terrapincampers@optonline.net To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com CC: JORDANVW@AOL.COM Sent from the Internet (Details)

Thank you to JordanVw@aol.com for relaying my post to multiple vanagon lists for me, and to all the groups for the many replies. This msg may still bounce so please forward my successful fix and thanks.

Lesson learned NEVER un-subscribe from the list for vacation!

I received a cell phone call just about an hour after my post request, from Carl? I was on the highway and not quite sure of his name as it was the usual vague cell phone connection. He tipped me off to the ignition switch problem, and wished me well. When I arrived at my destination I checked the wiring diags w/Bentley, pulled the steering column covers off & found the plug welded to the ignition switch. I finally pried it off, tested the wires and made my parts list. Unfortunately the whole plug was distorted and I now have to wiggle the plug to get the starter to engage, but I was off to the local Wal-Mart for supplies. I picked up a fuse holder, 30amp switch and connectors black tape & solder. Then I got to a cell live zone & read all the replies, reaffirming the diagnosis and my parts list, and even the ignition switch part number! FYI, Cell phone do suck as modems but are better than nothing! I will make the temp fix in the AM when there are less mosquitos to contend with, and just have a few beers for now reflecting on my good fortune to be a part of this Vanagon family.

Anyone going to GrassRoots in Trumansburg NY this weekend please look for the "LUCKYDAWGZ" camp and stop by for a thank you & a brew if you like. To all the rest, I will definitely return the favor.

Vanagon owners ROCK!

Jim King 86 Synco Westy "Terapn"

Please excuse my straight forward request for assistance, but I am using my cell phone as a modem on my laptop from the road.

1986 Vanagon Sycro Westfalia VIN: VW2ZB0258GG082766

I swapped the low beam lamps a few months back and did not have any immediate problems, but I guess running on the back roads with the high beams on for 3 hours did the trick, and I cooked the headlight switch. When I got to my destination the switch was melted in the ON position, and I was forced to unplug the wires to the switch to shut off the parking lights so I could camp for the night. This morning I re-plugged the switch, and I'm just getting the parking lights, no head lights at all. The front & rear heater blower fans, and the front wiper/washer is also dead, everything else appears to work. Oddly if I pull back on the turn signal headlight flasher just the high beams flash on. I had a good (pre-tested) spare headlight switch along, and I am getting the same results with it installed.

All fuses are good (visual & meter tested)

Before I dig any deeper here at the campground I figured to just ask the group if anyone else has had this happen or has any ideas or work around? I have the Bently book along for reference, basic tools & a soldering iron.

If you send any replies directly to Terrapincampers@optonline.net it will make it much easier for me to retrieve at the snail speed this cell phone connection runs at.

FYI: I'm on the way to the GrassRoots Festival in Trumansburg, NY via Cooperstown so any parts sources, or even repair places along the way would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim King

914-582-0272 Cell