Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:59:57 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: AC converted to 134
Comments: To: rrecardo@WEBTV.NET

I found a 1975 Westy with full interior. The A/C condenser was bottom mounted under a louvered aluminum rock guard, big thing 36 x 72" or so. The Interior Fan and Evaporator were mounted behind the sink and water tank stand right behind the drivers seat. It vented out the top of the sink stand and below the sink stand as well as out both ends of the sink stand. The stand was in good condition when I originally found the van but the wrecking yard wanted too much for it when it was in good condition so I've just watched the laminations raise and the sink stand become trash over the past three years of exposure once the windows were sold.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Cardo" <rrecardo@WEBTV.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:36 AM Subject: Re: AC converted to 134

<< I believe it was Stan who made a compelling argument about adding a second condenser under the van. Check the archives for details. Claims it works great, even in Texas. Ken Lewis>>

Stan was right on the money with his theory of cool in adding a second condenser.

Several years ago I was checking out a Type 2 Westy that had a strange plastic shroud down on the L/H rocker panel.

It had a factory ( dealer probably ) added AC unit.

It had a condenser up front, and housed under that plastic shroud on the side of the Van was the second condenser.

It blew plenty of cold air with no problem, while sitting in this parking lot where I was quizzing the owner about this strange appendagey under his Bus. He told me he bought it new with it on it.

I just couldn't imagine the drag on that air cooled engine while rolling down the road. It really must have been like tossing a parachute out the window at speed when the AC was turned on ~:)