Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:26:07 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Correct Air Pressure
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

What pressure are you running the tires at? 65 psi is too high for a good footprint with this tire. How well can it handle without traction? I would go with the recommended inflation pressures for the 185R14 tires on the door jam label at most. The recommendations for the 205/70 will provide better ride and traction.

Dennis

Larry,

Here is exactly what is on the side of my tires:

Made in France For normal road use in North America and Australia.

Michelin XCA 205/75/R14C LdR-D Max Load Single - 2270 Lbs 65 PSI Cold Max Load Dual - 2150 Lbs 65 PSI Cold

Tread - 2 Polyester Plies, 3 Steel Plies Sidewall - 2 Polyester Plies

My comments:

This tire comes from the Michelin Commerical Tire line and is a truck tire (of course the Vanagon is a light truck). The tread is not very aggressive and is problematical on anything but dry pavement. It would probably NOT be very good in any snow or ice situations, and one must excercise caution even on wet pavement as it tends to slip. I can "get a wheel" on my 88 GL with this tire if the road is wet. Rides well, and the side walls are hell-for-stout and THAT makes handling a dream. The diameter of the tire being ever so slightly larger may improve mileage a tiny bit, as well as making speedometers read more near acurrate. (typical vanagon speedos being 5 mph short of reality whne cruising at highway speeds). Acceleration may be of a tiny bit with the bigger tires, but it's negligible.

All that said, I like the tire fairly well, and may buy them again when the time comes --- if they are available.

Hope this helps.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver