Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jul 2005 22:09:33 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: '87 Westy Weekender owner needs help!!!!!!  2.1L wbx running
              rich???  ideas??
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

It sounds like possibly an OX sensor wiring issue. After starting the engine the ECU always IGNORES the signal from the OX sensor until the reading the ECU sees from the TempII sensor tells the ECU that the engine is getting warmed up. Then the ECU uses the signal it sees from the OX sensor as the basis for adjustments the ECU makes to the fuel mixture. Having already changed the OX sensor proves nothing Even unplugging the sensor proves nothing. If there is a problem in the wiring between the ECU and the OX sensor the ECU can screw up the mixture as soon as it sees a warm engine, whether the OX sensor itself is good or not.

There are 3 common ways the wiring to the OX sensor gets messed up. Usually it has to do with someone installing a generic OX sensor and screwing up the splicing of the wires. Another possibility is the ground wire for the OX sensor. This ground wire is not in the same harness as the other OX wires. It is the lone brown wire in the small bundle that goes to the distributor connector but split off to a ring connector that is then screwed down to metal on the engine. Check that this ground wire is making a good contact to the engine.

There are a few simple tests that should be done to the wiring related to the OX sensor to verify that it is all correct. Maybe tomorrow I can post details of those tests.

Mark