Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:33:27 EDT
From:         James Benthall <Taobythesea@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Continuing Saga of Worn Alt. Belt...(kinda long)

Hi guys, [sorry for the excessive posts, but since I am unemployed I guess I have more time to try and get the kinks out of my van ;-)]

Well, I think I'm FINALLY on the right track with my alternator belt problem! As some may know, my belt has been continually wearing out/burning up (i.e. melting) for some unknown reason since I had my van "rebuilt" after a fire a year ago. Gone through at least 5 belts since then and had the alternator rebuilt, but still no clue. My mechanic, whom I probably won't go to again [although he gets most things right and he is SUPER CHEAP], has looked at it a dozen times and never sees a problem. In fact, everyone that has ever looked at it for me says that the belts and all seem to be running true and they have no idea what could be the problem. After purchasing yet another belt a few weeks ago and visibly watching it disintegrate over time, I decided to get a fresh opinion. (Of course, this was AFTER I had to do an emergency roadside replacement of the previous one that burned up and caused my van to overheat spewing coolant and steam everywhere, leaving me stranded in a very unsavory part of town near nightfall ;-) I took it over to an independent alt./starter rebuilder a few miles away (Finch, off of N. Sheperd for any locals around) and showed it to a fellow named Dan. He could see where it was wearing and asked me to turn the engine on. Right away HE could see where it was not aligned right! He said my pulleys were bad and/or the support arms/bracket that hold the alternator on were bent. ;-) Good to know the answer to the problem!! He said to bring the alternator Monday and he would put a new steel pulley on it, and if that doesn't work I will have to replace the support arms/bracket (where I will get that I have no idea--Chris?). It is a RELIEF to be on the right track, but dang I hate to take the alternator off--last time it took me TWO DAYS to stab that bottom bolt! [anyone have any suggestions on how to do this easier?] In retrospect, I should have been on to the problem a long time ago. I KNEW that the "rubber dust" was an indication that the belt was rubbing somewhere! I guess the lesson is to trust your instincts. The good part is that now if I get this problem solved I probably will stop dreaming about selling it! Again, thanks so much for everyones support. james in houston, tx 87 westy (the phoenix) ps Could an engine fire that went for an estimated 5 minutes be hot enough to compromise the alternator support arms/brackets?