Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:48:53 -0400
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@WHISPLLC.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: Re: rear seat foam

Hi Nate if you are having a cover made they can make the cover as large as you need but when you lay it down to a bed it may not lay flat with other cushions. also going thicker doesnt mean better. go Quality of foam not quantity. with better quality of foam you can keep the same thickness. firmness has nothing to do with quality of foam!!! so if you look at density, ie 1.2 to 3.0 density ( 1.2 is poly foam low density, QHR 3.0 is top of the line high density and Fire retardant and everything else also price recflects quality). if you go to buy foam Know this. High density is just a word used to sell foam. high density foams start at 1.5 density. ask what is the ILD and they should be able to tell you if they know anything about foam. 1.8 is the lowest foam i use for sofa cushions and pop up campers and bunks. so the higher the quality the longer it will hold the firmness selected. i recomment a minimum of 2.2 Density foam and would for my self only use a 2.6 or higher density. as for firmness it is usually anything from 20 - 60 for seating. 20 is super soft 60 is like sitting on a carpeted floor. foam should be sold in a 4 or 5 digit code like 1845 or 18045. 18 is the density and 45 or 045 is the firmness. for a seat like the back bench i would recommend a 18045 the very min in quality but a medium firm. for me personally a 26 or 3.0 with a firmness of 35 to 45. keep all 3 cushions the same from the engine cover to the seat foam of the bench so you can sleep semi flat. of course the less you weigh the softer the firmness the more heavy set you are the firmer you may want. as a side note "Most all Foams are petroleum based products and are getting very expensive" also when the foam is out of the cover it is softer then when it is in the cover the fabric on the foam with want to pull on the sides of the foam and give the feeling of being firmer. all foams do breakdown in time and do get softer. the better the quality the longer it will hold that firmness. hope your not totally lost. i do sell foam but shipping may cost you more then just picking it up locally. do not get it from a fabric store chain. they hardly can spell foam let alone tell you what it can and cant do. All Foams are Flammable and will burn out of control. if the foam catchs on fire GET OUT AND DONT GO BACK IN. the fumes will kill you. unless you purchase foams that have a FR rating. c-ya and good luck Jonce

>I'm going to be reupholstering the rear fold down bed on my '84 Westy, >and I measured the current foam at 3" I think 4" will fit, but I would >like to go up to 5" if anyone has successfully done it. What's the >thickest foam anyone has put in their rear seat without having to make >special accomodations (other than new cover, which I'm making anyway).

>-Nate >'84 Westy

Jonce Fancher

57 Single Cab 66 Sunroof Bug 66 Variant Squareback 71 Sunroof Bus 75 911S Sunroof 84 Vanagon "Godfried" 85 Vanagon Westi 2003 10 Passenger Sprinter

Fancher's Upholstery Inc. - www.fanchers.com Not-A-VW Club- http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransont3/notavwclub/