Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:27:30 -0400
From:         John Lauterbach <lauterba@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bus Depot Rebuilt 2.1L - opinions?
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

Ken, I believe you have it right. I put a Boston Engine 1.9 in my '84 2 years ago. I wound up doing the job myself in my driveway. No shop in Middle GA would touch a water-boxer and the members of the local VW club were scared of by the thought of coolant. I hadn't even done a tune-up myself on the old engine. I did have a Haynes & Bentley. I got much help from the list, and Bob Donalds held my hand a couple of times via the telephone. One of the keys to putting a new engine in is to replace as much else that is engine-related at the time including new coolant lines and radiator (wish I could have gotten all new wiring). Putting a new engine in a Vanagon is not rocket science. If I had a few buddies helping me it would have been much easier.

John ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Wilford" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 7:48 PM Subject: Re: Bus Depot Rebuilt 2.1L - opinions?