Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:09:24 -0700
From:         jbclem1 <jbclem1@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Steering rack do it yourself rebuilding?

On my 1983 Westphalia there is a lot of play on the passenger side of the manual steering rack. I can move the arm sideways (not in and out) about 1/2 inch. No such play on the drivers side. There must be a bushing that is worn out on that side and I'd like to try to replace it...bushings are usually cheap, so's my labor-and a rebuilt steering rack is expensive.

Has anyone succeeded in doing this? I've done some research on steering rack rebuilding in general, and there are a lot of special tools sold for this process. It looks like a big deal, but when you think about it there's only so much in there, at least with the manual steering rack. And I've found that you can buy a rack rebuilding kit for 280Z cars for about $60, which consists of these parts:

Rack end bushings Pinion adjustment bushing Input shaft bearing Grease seal

The end bushings have to be honed to fit right, and you use a bearing/gear puller to extract the bushings.

I know this isn't for a Vanagon, but it gives me the idea that at least with one type of car it's not that hard to do. I just want to replace the right side end bushing (if there is such a thing in the Vanagon version), although if I could take the entire rack apart and could find all the parts I would probably replace all of them.

Is this a Vanagon pipe dream or has anyone tried to do this? Any ideas out there...

John