Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:05:45 -0400
From:         tabe johnson <xtabe@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Overheating
Comments: To: maxjoyce@IPA.NET

Hi Max,

To answer your question about installing an aftermarket sender in the stock location, I'd take a stock temp sender and drill a hole in it. Then, install the VDO sender into the hole you just made in the stock sender with goop or an O-ring and nut or whatever. (depends if you want it to be permanent or not) Another option would be to take a metal cylinder of the same diameter and length as the stock sender, drill (and tap, if necessary) a hole in it, and attach the VDO sender. The stock O-ring will seal things nicely.

I _might_ also be having overheating problems so I got an infrared pyrometer to check temperatures. After playing with it for five minutes, realized it was completely useless. The temperature on the exterior of most of the pipes is mostly dependent on the heat transfer characteristics of the pipe and the external air temp and flow, not on the temp of the coolant! You can check this for yourself if you have a pyrometer: Measure the temperature of the large metal coolant feed tube that goes into the water pump, then measure the temp of the flexible tube between the large metal tube and the thermostat housing. Temperatures should be basically the same but they are completely different because the flex tube doesn't conduct heat nearly as well as the metal tube.

Speaking of which: If you have a pyrometer, what temp do you get for that metal tube? It's the only temperature I can measure with a pyrometer (or thermocouple or whatever) that I trust. To get other reliable readings, yes, you'd have to have temp senders in the coolant like you describe. I get around 90-100C on that metal tube when the van is warm and has been idling for a while. You can see the temp changes as the thermostat opens and closes.

Measuring the temps of the hoses into and out of the radiator is also useless without knowing flow information. Imagine - say you have a 20 degree difference between the inlet and outlet of the rad, and good flow. Your pyrometer/whatever would say 20 degrees difference. But say you have a clogged rad so you are getting very low flow, but still getting a 20 degree temp change. Your measuring tool would STILL say 20 degrees difference, but your engine would be running hot because it wouldn't be getting enough cool water from the rad. So if you depend on temp differences you'd need to know pressures as well and have baseline info from a van that worked properly!

Also - you can't just take out the thermostat and run wihtout one to see what happens, cuz (1) the housing will leak like a sieve and (2) the thermostat does two things: it cuts off hot coolant recirculation as well as allowing cooler coolant in from the rad.

It's not an easy problem.

tabe johnson/87 westy

___________________________________________________ Post your free ad now! http://personals.yahoo.ca