Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:11:04 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <j.michael.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Black Bears vs Westy Canvas?

I'm heading up to the San Gabriel mountains next week (near Los Angeles). The nice ranger man cautioned me about bears and food, the usual warnings. The bears in those parts are black bears ("All SGM black bears have descended from 11 black bears that were /introduced/ in the SGM in 1933, after grizzly bears were exterminated in the SGM in about 1900").

I have camped a lot in bear country, and know how wily, fearless, clever, and determined those critters can be.

No, packing a firearm and blowing them away is simply not considered good form in these parts. What one is meant to do is avoid bringing strongly smelling foods and toiletries, and keep things in the trunk of the car . . . then hope for the best, as the crafty black bear is perfectly capable of popping a windshield out and carving an opening through the rear seat into the trunk.

The nice ranger agreed that keeping food in the Westy at night where I am sleeping should work fine. Bears do avoid confrontations, being smart guys and hoping to just get by without too much trouble. But during the day . . . away from the Westy . . . maybe on a hike or bike ride, Mr. Ranger didn't know whether bears climb up on Vanagons and brush the annoying canvas out of the way or not.

So I'd like to hear your black bear vs Westy tales. Not brown bears or their larger cousins, grizzlies. Those are different critters, temperamentally.

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") Carlsbad, CA KG6RCR