Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:39:15 -0700
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 loss of power

my 1.9l 85 did this after getting warm, i found that i had a what i think was bad temp sensor on the water pump, replaced this and i have been ok, i also touched my grounds up a bit on the block. I thought it was a AFM issue and wish i could get a new one also, but money is tight.

ohh when i replaced the sensor on the pump it seemed to be holding alot of pressure and just gushed coolent out so i think it was a bad sensor on the pump. please if my van hears me typing i love you. :)

Joe

-----Original Message----- From: Shawn Watson <shawnw@ULTIMATESUBARU.NET> Sent: Jul 25, 2005 9:27 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: 1.9 loss of power

Kindof sounds like a fuel filter to me. Did it start after filling up?

-----Original Message----- From: Ed [mailto:eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM] Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 6:57 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: 1.9 loss of power

Hello,

I'm looking for some help with a problem that just developed a few hours ago. I've been away from the list for a few months and have not had a chance to search the archives, so please forgive me if this has been covered recently. If so, please refer me to the appropriate posts.

This problem is with a 1.9l 4-speed manual trans; dist. cap, rotor, spark plugs, wires replaced about 500 miles ago. As I was driving down the road this afternoon, I experienced what I think would be described as a loss of power. I'd get going, no problems in first gear, then shift to second, and there was a bit of sputtering. Into third, and more sputtering. If I didn't floor it, it was o.k. for a while, but I could seem to floor it in first and second. It just doesn't have a lot of power. I tried going along a flat area to see what would happen if I just kept the accelerator pedal to the floor. It goes along, then it's as if I'm not pressing on the gas, then the power comes back. (This is in fourth gear.)

This is a similar problem to one I had with my '87 2.1l, but with that one, the problem was that I forgot to re-connect a wire after I was done doing some work. I checked all the connections and found two things: In the box on the back left of the engine compartment with all the wires, there is one brown wire that is off and doesn't go anywhere. It comes out of one of the white cartridge-shaped connectors, but I can't see where it is supposed to go.

The other thing that I noticed just earlier today is that the fuel pump is making quite a hum and vibration.

I have the Haynes manual but can't remember where I put the Bentley right now. Hopefully, this list will be more helpful than the Bentley. I appreciate any input, as I still have several camping trips to make it to this summer, including Buses of the Corn in Ontario in less that two weeks.

Thanks, Ed