Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:44:42 -0800
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Black Bears vs Westy Canvas?
Comments: To: bueses <bueses@EARTHLINK.NET>

Tom,

The grizzlies here don't eat the hunters, (it's a professional coutesy thing between hunters and bears). They do eat the tourists, after all it is tourist season. Last year it was the idiot and his girlfriend from California that thought he could communicate with them, and this year they got two locals kayaking a river on the North Slope. While the locals aren't really tourists, I think one of them was a lawyer, I guess professional courtesy has it limits.

But seriously, the two locals this year did everything by the book re how to travel in bear country. They even went so far as to do all of their cooking/dining well upstream before they got to their campsite. The necropsy on the bear found it to be in good health with no apparent reasons for the attack.

Mark in AK

----- Original Message ----- From: bueses <bueses@EARTHLINK.NET> Date: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 2:25 pm Subject: Re: Black Bears vs Westy Canvas?