Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:12:47 -0700
From:         honemastert <honemastert@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Packing a '90 Westy

** Jim.M.Craig@PEPSI.COM writes: **

Two kids (2 and 5) here are well, I've enjoyed this thread, picked up some other pointers/ideas as well! Time to give back to the list, so here are my inputs.

>> We don't leave everything in the van, but we do keep it all >> organized in plastic bins and duffels so it is ready to go.

Same here, the Az. heat does a number on batteries, and other 'perishable' things like that (ointments in first aid kits, sunscreen, etc) That sort of stuff goes in rubbermaid 'Action Packers' http://tinyurl.com/apbyd

Sadly, they dont make the smallest one anymore, but we have a couple of these, which are just the ticket for kids toys, as well as the stuff that goes in the two cabinets under the rear table.

Along those line, personally? ditch the rear table, pull it out and leave it at home. We've found that it only gets in the way, and about all it was good for is for putting a big stack of blankets/pillows down on the countertop, then 'securing' them by lowering the table on top of it.

Over the water tank, first aid kit, sunscreen, bug stuff flashlights etc: The larger compartment holds the pegs to secure the fiamma awning, rubber mallet, small foldable shovel trash bags, Tiki candle (big one for mozzies) spare batteries etc:

Closet holds larger bulky jackets, cycling gear, hip-packs and or backpacks?, bike helmets, and other misc items.

The small pull out drawer holds utensils, in small green plastic organizer deals (like a silverware drawer at home?) can opener, fire starter thingy.. (one of those click and hold butane deals for lighting lanterns, stoves etc:) These MSR foldable utensils are uber cool as well

http://tinyurl.com/8vrm4

>> pull stuff out of the van right after the trip, clean the dishes >> etc, then put everything back in the bins so there is no scrambling

exactly!

>> I do leave the stuff under the bench

only thing under here is a large toolbox, spare oil, coolant, air compressor, jumper cables, jack, bentley manual, magnetic bug screens for front windows, stuff that doesnt get used that often.

>> Under stove >> Lower right cabinet - pantry/dry goods

cups, paper plates, cookset (pots/pans) wipes another flashlight, a couple of other small plastic tubs with misc pantry items.

>> Drawer - utensils/lighter/knives etc

ditto

>> Fridge - More food (we use a cooler for the cold stuff)

ditto here as well

>> Lower left cabinet

This is taken up with a Go Westy installed heater.

>> Under rear table

rear table stays home.

>> Dishes/pans (not sure I like this)

I'd move them to under the stove area.

>> Rear >> Chairs, luggage, table (if we bring it), sleeping bags

same here, put each persons clothes into their own travel bag. We also use one of those aforementioned 'Action Packers' to put the food in. This way, if you're in a place with bears (Yosemite, or parts of the Sierra's) its easy to pull this, and the cooler out of the van and get most of the 'smell' out of your precious vehicle and into the 'bear box' where it belongs!

On longer trips, we'll use a cargo bag up front, for tables, chairs, propane bottles, lanterns, etc:

http://tinyurl.com/9x6qj http://tinyurl.com/a94v6 http://tinyurl.com/abwy6

This one even looks nicer/more sturdy than the plastic one from target.

http://tinyurl.com/89gfc

For *really* long trips, we have a Yakima Rocketbox that will hold most of the above, plus the 2 yr old's backpack carrier, leveling blocks, collapseable bucket (grey water catch)

http://tinyurl.com/by7ds

(REI has a generic version of this in their store for like $12 or somesuch)

and sun shower

http://tinyurl.com/dtjo7

If climbing is involved, then we also throw the bag on the front for climbing gear.. (more backpacks, ropes etc)

really just depends...

the other thing that we do for longish trips is take a small tent to use as a 'shed' that way, you can put the kids car seats in there, along with the other misc stuff to keep it out of the elements, and not have to load/unload it in and out of the van all the time if you have to go somewhere.

Since we have the propane heater built in, we also just take a zip together fleece sleeping bag type affair, along with a couple of other polartec blankets. These can be folded such that they will fit in behind the upper bunk, and you can still close the pop-top. IMHO this doesnt really save much space over just everyone having their own individual down sleeping bags, but the kids dont have such, and I dont want to bring bulky kids sleeping bags just for them.

http://tinyurl.com/749go

In the back closet, we put tolitries, towels (microfiber hand and bath towels take up *lots* less room and dry much faster than cotton. Rear bug screen, front window curtain (which we rarely use, just have one of those sun shade deals we put up in the front window to knock the heat down a notch or two?) another flashlight

I need to do some interior lighting upgrades to the van would eliminate stuffing flashlights all over the place :-)

The hardest part is the first trip of the season, getting back into the swing/mechanics of things. After that, it's a piece of cake. http://tinyurl.com/9y6nl boys in the back (trip to J-Tree CA last fall) http://tinyurl.com/d7qdy we brought too much crap on this trip!

cheers,

-tim

90 syncro westy mesa, az