Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:34:02 -0700
From:         Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: front wheel hot to the touch? caliper dragging?

Another possibility is that the caliper is NOT releasing after application. I had to replace both calipers on my '91 (after it had been sitting for an extended period) . Just age can cause the boots that cover the sliding parts to deteriorate, and let our common enemy RUST into those sensitive areas. If the calipers are earlier-design two piston types, the boot on those can also dry out and tear, and become a catch-all for crud, and cause the piston to stop retracting, also. I got a cherry-red rotor out of THAT episode! Don't forget that you may damage wheel bearings if you heat up a rotor with a dragging brake - melting the grease out of the bearings is a bad thing, and not immediately noticable.

Ken Lewis <kdlewis_wating_time@ALLVANTAGE.COM> wrote: Chris, I have heard the rubber brake lines can fail internally, acting like a one way valve. You can push fluid into the cylinder but it can't get back out on its own, causing the pads to drag. KenLewis

Quoting JordanVw@AOL.COM:

> so after driving my vanagon for a little bit today, i smelled this "burnt > rubber" smell from the RF wheel area, not bad, barely noticible.. but i > touched > the alloy wheel and nearly got burned!! it was sooooo hot.. what is the > symptoms of a sticking caliper? i dont hear any dragging... but the brakes > do > suck on this van..... > > any ideas as to why that wheel would be so hot? > > chris >

Evan Mac Donald

1984 Wolfburg 1985 GL 7 Pass. 1991 Carat Weekender