Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Jul 2005 22:14:24 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rockford-Fosgate In-Car 20GB MP3 audio system $99  (Today
              Only)
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>

I purchased and installed one in my motor home. I many ways it is great. I think the list management could be more flexible and I am not crazy about it not using standard file formats. You need their simple center to manage songs and there are limits to the bit rates. But for the money and the amount of music it holds, it can't be beat.

Dennis

Thought this link might interest some. This Rockford Fosgate MP3 car audio system comes with a dash-mounted controller, a small remotely-mounted 20 gb hard-drive based MP3 player, and an 802.llb adapter. It actually downloads music from your PC wirelessly while the van sits in your driveway. It has a line output jack, so if your indash does not have a line input jack you'd need an FM transmitter (about $15 from various places).

This is similar to the PhatNoise/MusicKeg system that VW offers for newer VW's. But the VW version only works with certain VW indashes (of which even the factory-installed Vanagon indash is not one, since it's an older model). Since this one comes with its own controller (shallow enough to velcro to your dash) it can be used in a Vanagon with your existing indash.

This is a discontinued item and originally sold for around $600. I've read that it's a bit flakey, but not horrible, and there are user forums, free third-party free software, etc. that improve on its functionality. (For example, I use the Twonky music server for my home MP3 setup, which also works with this unit.) I wouldn't buy this for $600, but for $99 you're not risking much.

Since it's on woot.com, who only runs 1-day deals, it's only available through the end of the day today. I have not tried this unit myself, so I can't comment on it personally. But I have a similar indash unit (a Rio Car / Empeg), and love it. Once you get used to having a few hundred songs at your fingertips on your dashboard, you can't imagine going back to CD.

Product Purchase:

http://woot.com/

Product info:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-CJUm1jPIN5w/reviews/20040227/omnifi_ revi ew.html?page=1