Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:23:59 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Ferry me across the Mercy

Or something like that.

So, this weekend's camping expedition (which definitely took a detour from original plans) had me taking a paddle wheel ferry across the Susquehana River in Pennsylvania (only such operating ferry left on the Susquehana River.) It was curious. The river at the point (Millersville) is about 2 miles across, but only a couple of feet deep (maximum depth is 4 feet). The ferry operators rebuild a low (less than 6 feet) loose stone dam on the river every couple of years (the stone dam gives them enough depth to operated the ferry. ) The paddle wheel was about 6 feet in diameter.

Very cool trip. The far side (western side) has a large campground at the dock (yes, I decided to camp there.)

I know there still are a number of river boat ferries in the US, but there are a lot fewer than there used to be. The Millersville ferry only holds up to 4 vehicles. Fare was $6 for me and my Westy.

I've also taken White's Ferry across the Potomac River. Slightly larger in that it can handle 8-10 vehicles, White's Ferry is attached to a cable that guides the ferry, whereas the Millersville Ferry is free navigating.

Cities like Seattle and New York have large ferries, whereas these small riverboat ones are more intimate. Quaint.

Elsewhere on the trip (Allentown) I passed through a couple of the remaining covered wood bridges.