Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:19:16 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What do you cook when camping?

RE: Cooking I'm leaving Sunday for a full week of camping 6,300 feet up in the Cascades. I'll be in one spot that whole time and there is no power or water. There will be Sani-Cans at the event. I'm a lazy cook (actually not much of a cook at all). For my breakfasts I'll have a choice of oatmeal, bacon (precooked), sausage patties (precooked) eggs, and fresh baked biscuits along with coffee and fresh milk. Lunches will be sandwiches, Spam, cheese, smoked sausage. Snacks are Gorp and granola-type bars, canned fruit. Dinners will range from marinated steak (first couple of days) to smoked sausage (keeps better) to Zatterains Red Beans and Rice (take out of the package, heat and eat) with canned vegetables and instant mashed potatoes (restaurant grade) with gravy. Although I'll have a single burner stove for cooking outside I'll probably use the Westy stove for most of the cooking. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, at 1600 each day the Martini flag goes up and I serve Martinis to any guest that arrives, shaken, not stirred. For those without the discriminating palate for a Martini, there will be a variety of other libations in miniatures to chose from. I carry enough dishes to serve myself a couple of meals and do the dishes once a day, water heated with a solar shower bag. This year I probably won't be using the shower setup because the event I'm attending will be bringing in portable showers.

Although I cook sausage, bacon, eggs, meat etc. often in my Westy I've never had a problem with residual oders.