Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:11:21 -0700
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Propane Fillup?

California and some other states have banned the refilling of the tanks that don't have the new OPD (overflow prevention device) valves to allow for expansion and prevent gas blow-off, a nice safety feature. But this law apparently does not apply to horizontal tanks or tanks under 4 gallons (westies hold about 3 gallons). Read on...

I found this Q&A on <http://www.grillman.com/propane_tankregs.htm>

" Q: I have a horizontal cylinder on my recreational vehicle. Are OPD's available for that kind of service? A: Presently, the Code does not explicitly address the issue of OPD valves on horizontal cylinders. This has presented some difficulty as horizontally oriented cylinders that were manufactured prior to October 1, 1998, are unable to be retrofitted with the OPD's that are available at this time. There is currently a proposal in the Code process that would exempt this style of a cylinder from needing an OPD if visibly marked that it has no OPD and was manufactured prior to October 1, 1998, and if none of these safety devices are available for this style of cylinder. While the foregoing is a proposal for the 2001 edition of the Code, it is not now known if this suggested amendment will be approved. Without question, OPD's are still required for these cylinders that have been manufactured after September 30, 1998. An attempt is regularly made to make propane marketers aware of changes in the Code. Any question that you have may be directed to your local propane service provider. "

Keith Ovregaard 84 Westy "Brownie" Solar Charged Camper 90 Westy Syncro (No name yet for the pastel white box)