Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Aug 2005 15:12:12 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil contamination... with coolant

> What is you're suggestion about that problem... when the oil is so > contaminated... that it's a pale brown color... > > When the oil drain screw was remove, about 1 liter of clean coolant came > out, after it became that messy sticky brown stuff, it'all over the internal > componants....

Ah yes, the muddy, whipped, milk chocolate looking stuff. That's the famous oil and water froth. That usually comes from a crankcase being filled with coolant, raising the liquid level inside till it reaches the crank-- that's how you get the "whipped mousse" look to the oil. Judging by the amount of coolant (1liter) you drained from the crankcase, I'd suspect a fairly good internal leak. Oil cooler perhaps?

#1? Like the #1 cylinder?

> strangly, the collant color is perfect with no trace > of oil....

I've had 2 cars come down with "whipped oil/coolant mix" in my life, and the oil never got into the cooling system. Usually the cooling system is operating at a higher pressure than the oil system in the places where they are in close proximity, so it stands to reason that you'd only see water in the oil and not vice cersa.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon "Keine Bange, wir holen die Zange!"