Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Aug 2005 19:24:29 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Advice on potential trade of Eurovan for Vanagon
Comments: To: Franklin Wood <adventureracers@HOTMAIL.COM>

Fuel mileage for an 81 Westy auto is more likely 12-15, on good days. The oil leak on a rebuild can be scary. If you are lucky it may be a bad valve cover gasket or a pinched push rod tube o ring. If the oil is coming from under a cylinder, it is most likely due to a bad engine case. These cases wear at the center bearing web. When reassembled, the case will distort as the halves are bolted together. The cylinders will not sit straight and parallel. The head will not seat properly on both cylinders causing the gasket to fail. Unburned oil that collects at the bottom of the cylinder will drip out. If a gasket or o ring did fail, it was either a very poor instalation or a sign the engine is over heating. Anyway, plan on another engine.

Dennis

----- Original Message ----- From: Franklin Wood <adventureracers@HOTMAIL.COM> Date: Tuesday, August 2, 2005 6:42 pm Subject: Advice on potential trade of Eurovan for Vanagon