Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Aug 2005 07:15:37 -0400
From:         Michael Edwards <medwards1@TRIAD.RR.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon tongue wait

Since someone brought it up ...... I did a little research in the archives. In addition to Don's notes below I found the following factors that go into the mfg's capacity rating. 1. brakes

2. engine/clutch

3. suspension

4. mounting points

5. center of balance

I'm trying to figure out if I can tow my 73 Thing. For extended stays it would be great to set up camp, leave the van in place and be mobile in the Thing. Since it tows on all four wheels tongue weight is not a problem. However, it greatly exceeds the unbraked weight limit. VW 181 Thing Curb weight ...........1920 Max unbraked trailer weight ...........1320 Difference ...................................600lbs / 45% Does anyone know the numbers underlying the above factors and their relationship to calculate the max? I plan to eventually upgrade to a Subie engine. Brake upgrade is pretty straightforward. I'm just not sure how much these upgrades will buy me in increased capacity. Given how underpowered the vans are it would be reasonable to assume 1 & 2 carry the highest weight, but I don't want to make assumptions and wind up in a ditch because the back end got squirrlley on me. Thanks for any input. Mike --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- From the owners manual - 1986 and up: Maximum braked trailer weight - 900kg (2,000 lb) Maximum unbraked trailer weight - 600kg (1,320 lb) Maximum tongue weight - 75kg (165 lb) Note that there is no difference shown between the Syncro and the passenger 20 van. Not sure if the camper supplement shows a lower number or not. Don in Reidsville, NC