Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Aug 2005 23:10:33 -0400
From:         Todd Olson <todd.olson@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Kids sleeping in top bunk.

Hi Jim, I made a pillow/towel rack and it works great. I first saw one at Buses By the Beach in Frank Condelli's van. It turns out that he has a friend, Hans Brouwer in Canada that makes these pillow/towel racks that insert in front of the bed to keep your pillow from falling down in the middle of the night and gives you an extra barrier to keep your kids from sliding off the end. During the day when the top is up and bed is folded back it doubles as a towel rack.

My kids are 3 and 5 and I always sleep up top with one of them with no problems. I emailed Hans and he said he would not send one in the mail but he would have them for sale at Bus Fusion or he would tell me how to make one for free. Very nice guy!

Here is how you make one: Go to Home Depot, buy 4 of the 4' dowels (5/8" I think) and trim them about 1/4" off, piece of 1x2 wood about 11" long, drill some holes in it (couple inches apart), glue the pieces together (where the rods go through the wood, a small screw would work as well), 1" clear tubing on the ends (no rattling), and that is it.

I have made several of these to give away to my friends as gifts and they work great!

Wishing you many miles of smiles! Todd Olson Grand Rapids, MI todd.olson@charter.net Buses By the Beach www.busesbythebeach.com LiMBO Area Rep. www.bcn.net/~limbo/ 1970 Volkswagen Westfalia Campmobile (Dorothy) 1987 Volkswagen Westfalia GL Camper (Scarlet B) 2001 Volkswagen Eurovan MV ------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:39:14 -0700 From: Jim Quan <full360@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Kids sleeping in top bunk.

I recall sometime ago seeing a post specific to some kind of solution to keeping kids safely sleeping in the top bunk. Mostly, there was some sort of solution that kept them from rolling out and falling. Maybe a net of wooden barrier attached to the forward edge of the bed? Your solutions and suggestions will be reviewed with much interest.

Jim 1991 Syncro Westy