Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:29:48 -0700
From:         Matt Barclay <mbarclay@OPENFBO.COM>
Subject:      new pop top canvas installed

"White Man's Burden" got a new pop-top canvas and lived up to its name:

http://gallery.openfbo.com/PopTopCanvas

My recommendations if you get a new canvas:

1. Take the damned pop-top off the camper and screw in four screws per corner. The corners are the tightest part of the canvas. I tried to save time and effort by installing the canvas with the pop-top still on the camper. HUGE mistake. Wasted a good 10 hours altogether. Once I got the pop top off, it was a 5 hour job.

2. With the top corners holding the canvas to the pop-top, put the pop-top back on the camper.

3. Screw in the middle of each bottom side. The bottom of the canvas has a rubber strip that butts up against the metal tacking strips. Work your way out to the corners stretching the canvas out a little bit at a time.

4. Screw in the rest of the top of the canvas, taking up slack in the fabric. My canvas has several inches of slack at the top:

http://gallery.openfbo.com/PopTopCanvas/img_3898

5. Find a local supplier for the screws and pop-top attachment nuts. Those screws get stripped or lost in the grass easily.

I sure am happy with it, now that its done. The breeze through the three windows is great during these hot summer days.

Cheers, Matt