Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Aug 2005 07:57:47 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      2.1 Temp sender resistance values?

A crazy idea popped into my head and I need some feedback from the electrical gurus on the list. It concerns a couple questions about the stock temp sender on the thermostat housing.

1. Are the resistance values the same for both temp 1 and temp II senders? 2. Are the resistance values the same as the VDO 150C after-market temp sender? If not, is there a resistor I could put in line that would get them to match? 3. Do both of the temp senders in the T-stat housing actually measure the coolant temperature on the closed side of the thermostat before it gets to the the pipes leading to the radiator or do they only being to show a reading once the thermostat starts to open up?

My questions relate to the fact that if the resistance values are the same(ie. the dash gauge is also a 150C gauge like the VDO aftermarket ones) then what would stop an enterprising Vanagon owner from tapping off that signal as opposed to adding a separate sending unit in the coolant line somewhere?

Thanks for the help

Max