Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:23:22 -0700
From:         "Trenholme, Phil" <Phil_Trenholme@AFFYMETRIX.COM>
Subject:      Happy 91 Westy owner and White Poptops

Hello,

I am so pleased with my '90 Westy that I purchased in May! I drove it to work yesterday and today over HWY 17 (SF Bay Area Mountain road) and was able to pretty much cruise from Santa Cruz to the summit (aprox 1900') while keeping my speed @ 55 in 4th. Of course this was at about 5:30am with next to no traffic. I think my Westy likes the cool foggy weather. I also got to enjoy the utility aspect of my van as I picked up my freshly rebuilt Porsche 356 Transmission which easily fit on the floor.

Coming home last night on HWY 17 I saw a mini traffic jam up ahead and I moved over to the fast lane, as I shifted to 3rd I could see up ahead a nice looking '86-'91 Westy doing perhaps 40mph with cars backed up behind it. I wonder if the driver was still in 4th as I went by at around 50mph. Either my car has a strong motor or perhaps this other van was carrying a load, but going that slow on 17 can be potentially dangerous. I do not like to go much over 4000 RPM but I do not believe a couple of minutes @ RPM's up to 4400-4500 are going to hurt anything assuming the H2O temp is OK.

With respect to Poptop colors I received an E-mail from an owner of multiple Westies who measured only a 5 degree difference on the inside surface between a Burgundy Poptop and White Poptop (Temp was measured with an Infrared gauge). This is not enough of a difference for me to consider painting the top White on my Burgundy Westy.

Phil T

'90 Westy

Santa Cruz, CA