Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Aug 2005 23:33:43 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Alternative to stock Vanagon fuel pump
Comments: To: Ed <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>

Alas, I long for the days when my 79 breadloaf fuel pump would die(had dual 2 barrel webers on it) and all I had to do was keep the gas tank full and that was enough fuel pressure from gravity to keep the motor running.

Back to the present however. I'm on my second bosch pump(a reman and one new one) and the current pump is getting weakiaccording to the pressure gauge on the dash Ken Wilford praises the Pierburg pump and so do the gurus on the Audi lists I'm on. It's quieter than the Bosch, uses ball bearings instead of needle bearings, but the $200 for it is pricey.

My advice? Buy one Pierburg new and only cry once!! Look at it this way, spend $200 on the good pump or spend $200 on a replacement pump and a spare to carry with you.

Bullwinkle

At 10:51 PM 8/9/2005, Ed wrote: >I have found that the lowest price around for a stock replacement of >the Vanagon fuel pump is from Autohaus AZ, for $130 including shipping. I = >have heard that there is a Ford replacement that will work just as >well. Does anyone know which other pump, whether for a Ford or a >generic, that will work as a replacement? > >I know I'm opening the list up to lots of people who will advise >against replacing with anything but stock, but I'd like to hear from >anyone wants to tell me if they do know of a cheaper pump that will >perform suitably, and whether they've used such a thing or not. > >Thanks, >Ed