Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:36:20 +1000
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Front door window rubbers

David,

The window seals are extremely easy to remove and fit new ones, although obviously some care is required when fitting the new one so that you don't kink it/bend it in the wrong place as you position it for final fitting.

The old one will just pull out...there are no hidden clips or anything tricky. Grab one end and carefully but firmly pull until it starts to give and the whole piece, from the top of the quarter vent around to where it meets the scraper near the door lock button will yield and co-operate ;-)

Fitting the new one is obviously the reverse procedure, however as Larry states, the new one will be a little longer than required and neat cutting with a hacksaw to the exact length prior to fitting will be necessary. I have found it best to position the seal on the outside of the window and carefully bend it to shape before attempting to fit the seal in the door channel and bending as you go.... Get it right the first time or the steel backing of the window channel section can kink resulting in a window seal that isn't quite as straight and neat as it could be. Otherwise, the job is a breeze...:-)

I have replaced my driver's door one twice and the passengers side once now in the 13 years I've owned my van and they all failed right where the rubber on the outside of the door meets the fuzzy stuff the glass sits against. The rubber always perished in the same spot. If you are just doing yours for the first time now, then you have done well although no doubt the sun in Canada doesn't have the same UV intensity as it does in Oz... At the time I replaced my first one, maybe 6 or 7 years ago now, I asked the list if anybody else had had these things fail and it seems I had been the only one at that time...but that's OK...I still have the original engine, gearbox, clutch and exhaust system still going strong :-)

Cheers, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Landrover 109 Series 3 Soft top ute (ex-Aust Army)

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:22:10 -0500 From: Larry Alofs <lalofs@RCN.COM> Subject: Re: Front door window rubbers

Just put one in my '91 GL this morning. Got it from Bus Depot. It went in easily; had to saw off about an inch to cut it to length.

Larry A.

David Marshall wrote: > The upper rubber bit that the driver door window seats into in both my