Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:50:17 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: groan when turning steering wheel
Comments: To: Don Williams <williams@FIRE.BIOL.WWU.EDU>

Don,

I used to get that all the time, just at idle speed when I first started my van...

I haven't heard the groan lately, but two things have happened since I last did, either one could be the reason I don't hear it anymore:

1. My throttle switch went bad, so I "mis-adjusted" it to err on the side of "running" instead of "idling"... this gives me a high idle most of the time (the switch seems to be 'sticky'), but I can pull away from a stop sign without bogging down.

2. I rebuilt my P/S pump... did this along with putting in Frank C's hose kit in place of the steel lines which had rusted out, dumped the fluid, and cooked the pump. Naturally, I also totally replaced the P/S fluid as a consequence of this... so that's another variable to consider.

These both happened around the same time, and if I ever get around to installing the replacement idle switch, I'll find out if the groan comes back at a normal idle, or if the pump rebuild provided enough of a pressure difference to prevent the groaning.

In my case, the groaning did not seem to indicate a bad rack, because it's been over a year since I heard the last groan, and I haven't had any problems with the rack, or difficult steering (of course, YMMV).

If I recall, the pump rebuild kit was in the 30-40 dollar range from Bus Depot, and the Bentley instructions were clear and simple to follow. I've never rebuilt a P/S pump before or since, but this one seems to be holding up (maybe because I now have a spare... no part will break if you have a replacement handy :-).

Tim

At 10:56 AM 8/10/2005 -0700, Don Williams wrote: >When I start 85 westy and turn the steering wheel there is an intermittant >groan associated with the process. Driving down the road, there is no >problem. I am wondering if my power steering is going, and what I can do >about it.