Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:31:56 -0400
From:         Lorraine Sym <lorr16ainesym@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Camping & Poptop & Other Volkswagens
Comments: To: WetWesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Hi Listmembers;

My friend and I brought our VW's camping this weekend up Squamish, she has a 1976 bus and I have the 1981 Westy. We drove forever up the Elaho Valley and there were campers everywhere, so we were forced to drive 35 miles further up a logging road. We found an access road to the river thru the bush, but it was long and full of ruts and holes. My friend waited while I sussed it out.....when I came out the other end of the road on the river lo and behold - another VW Westy all on its lonesome! We both looked at each other and smiled. My friend got her van in, and was it ever paradise. We checked out each others' vans.....

I brought all the gear to redo my poptop, the first day was spent sanding and applying solvent, then when the sun went down I put the first (and only) coat of primer, and then the next a.m. got up to sand the primer and put a coat of Interlux Brightside marine paint, off white. I only did the back of the top, was on a timeframe so didn't do the front luggage rack section......so now I have a perfect back of my top and older front.....you should see the difference. It looks brand new.

The top was dry by the time we left for home, I just had to watch for low hanging branches.

Next camping trip I do the front part of the top, but it should be a quick job.......then apply my new weather stripping. In the meantime I'm driving without the stripping and it works fine....

Lorraine 1981 Westy "MIA"

--------------------------------- Find your next car at Yahoo! Canada Autos