Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:40:13 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Something only a Vanagon owner could come up with
Comments: To: Tony Flores <aflores14@CSUB.EDU>

Hmmm. "Better yet, call me a Vanagon owner"

I can go with that. I know that feeling. Went through it all for a while. Engine #1 replaced by the PO sometime between new and 86,000 miles when I bought it. Since then Engine #2 burned a piston at 89,000 miles and was replaced. Engine #3 still running strong at 50,000 engine miles- 149,000 vehicle miles. . Manual tranny went out and had to be rebuilt, complete brake job, replaced growling front wheel bearings. replaced squealing speedo cable, AC tunnel fell and had to have the kit installed. Rock through the windshield required new glass, sliding door lock gave up the ghost and was replaced, Several fuel hose leaks required replacing various fuel lines. Replaced the brake master cylinder, replaced the clutch master cylinder. Battery cracked and the resulting acid spill had to be cleaned up. Replaced the headlight mounts and adjusters which were broken. Replaced the speedometer. Repaired the instrument pod mounting points. Replaced insturment pod lights. Replaced HP oil pressure switch after broken belt broke the switch. Repaired wiring in the engine compartment. Replaced broken window crank. Replaced all CV's and boots.

All that is past history. My current projects - replace rear heater control valve, repair broken AC mount adjustment bracket., repair AC compressor case, overhaul and service AC system, replace power steering rack and boots. Repair crack in front fiberglas bumper. Prep and repaint top of van. (white?), replace heater/fresh air control arms in the dash. Install new rubber and felt in both front doors for the windows. Troubleshoot and repair front and rear windshield washer pumps.

BTW, my machine is a daily driver - and it has been surprisingly reliable in that it has not left me stopped on the side of the road for several years. If I listen to it, it all ways talks to me and tells me when something needs doing before it quits and leaves me parked in some inconvenient place.

Yep. I know about being a Vanagon owner. But I wouldn't have it any other way. My rig is an '88 GL and it doesn't do to bad for a 17 year old vehicle. And I want to add a Westy as a second vehicle.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver