Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:32:07 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2nd battery Westy questions
Comments: To: Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>

The '86 fuse panel is different from the earlier ones.

On my '85 I used the existing fridge relay and wired it to run the fridge from the aux battery (standard). I haven't used the fridge on 12 volts since doing that, though.

I ran wires from the positive post (fused) up to the fuse panel where I removed fuses #8 and #9 and connected the aux battery wires to the "output" side of the original fuse connections (on the back side as the '85 uses bayonet type fuses).

This put my cabin lights, the radio, the cigar lighter, and, due to the way the original wiring is, the brake lights on the aux battery.

Mike

Malcolm Stebbins wrote: > Here's the post from my archives: > ================================================================= > Lawrence Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@sympatico.ca> Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 5:54 PM > Reply-To: Lawrence Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@sympatico.ca> > To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > Piece of cake: > -Remove #3 fuse. Check that the dome light, sink light and radio are disabled. If > not, you got the wrong fuse. > -tape over the upper fuse receptacle hole so that you will be reminded not to use > it. > -make a wire lead with an in-line fuse (15A) with a spade connector on the end. > -remove 15A fuse until you are finished wiring. > -plug the spade connector into the lower fuse receptacle hole and run the line back > toward the "fire wall" (what does one call it on a Vanagon anyway?), down under the > carpet, back to the battery box under the driver's seat. > -secure the wire so that it won't juggle free from the fuse receptacle. > -connect the wire lead to the +ve battery post. > -reinsert the 15A fuse. > -now of course that damned radio is squealing and needs resetting. > You have now connected the dome light, the sink light and radio to your auxiliary > battery. > -Larry > '86 Syncro Westfalia (and maybe a '86 Syncro double-cab pickup for Christmas) > > Robin Oomkes wrote: > > >>Brent Christensen wrote: >> >> >>>FWIW, I also rewired *all* the accessories in the Westy to run from the aux >>>batteries by tapping into the fuse panel and bypassing the regular battery >>>connection. >> >>Brent, >> >>I'd love to see how you did that. I've been wanting to do this ever since I got >>my first Westy (with factory aux battery and Eberspächer heater), but I've been >>reluctant to do so as everything works so well now. Except of course for the >>interior lights, 12V dash outlet and stereo draining the starter battery. >> >>Regards, >> >>Robin >>90 Vanagon Westfalia Atlantic TD >>84 Westfalia Joker D > > > or try: > > vanagon.com aux battery wiring intructions are NOT valid !!!!! (long) > 1 message > Jason M. Yasment <vanagon@nycap.rr.com> Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 7:32 PM > Reply-To: "Jason M. Yasment" <vanagon@nycap.rr.com> > To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > OK, > I had wired up the aux battery per the instructions on the vanagon.com > website. One problem. These directions are NOT valid!!!!!! > > I'll list the directions on the website and then show my findings with the > '84. > > 1. Disconnect the battery at the groundstrap. > 1a. No Problems here. > > 2. Disconnect the 3 red wires leading from the fuse box behind the drivers > seat from the relay terminals. These wires to the fridge and the cabin > light. > 2a. This is where I ran into problem #1. Yes one of these wires does run > to the fridge. The other runs to the display panel that shows your > batteries charge. These both rin through the fuse block behind the seat. > The light over the kitchen is wired to the starting battery independent of > the relay. I proved this fact by pulling both wires and turning the light > on.....still worked. Remember this relay is called the REFRIGERATOR 12-volt > HEATER RELAY and has nothing to do with the kitchen light (ref. Bentley page > 97.32b) > > 3. Connect these two wires to the positive terminal on the aux battery. > 3a. Yes, this makes sense that the fridge will run from this source. And > the display panel will show the charge level of the aux battery. This was > not tested in my situation however. > > 4. Run an 8 or 10 ga wire from the + terminal on the aux battery to > terminal #30 on the relay. This terminal supplies current to charge the aux > battery when the van is running. > 4a. What the diagram shows when the relay is closed is that it will charge > from the starting battery, drawing that battery down and reducing it's > useful life. Then the alternator would charge the starting battery the > energy that was used for replenishing the aux battery. The starting battery > can only recharge the aux battery with what ever energy it has and will not > fully charge unless you drive for a few hours. In the mean time you will > only put a substantial drain upon the starting battery and still not fully > recharge the aux battery. In other words the aux battery is not directly > charged by the alternator in this configuration. > In the diagram on the referenced page of the Bentley manual it show a > lead going to the D+ terminal on the alternator. This circuit does not > carry a charge but only half of the trigger current, while the ground is on > terminal 50 of the ignition switch. > > Steps 5 and 6. reconnect your ground straps. > > For the '86 and newer models, the Bentley on page 97.34a, shows a separate > BATTERY CUT-OUT switch designed for this purpose. > > > > > > Jason M. Yasment > '84 Westfalia > > > > > ____________________________________________________ > Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs >