Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Aug 2005 01:57:10 EDT
From:         Chris Dixon <Jahsurf@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Sure is nice to have that A/C
Comments: To: syncro@yahoogroups.com

Observational posting: Up until a few weeks ago, I had been driving the AW topped Syncro with no AC since late last summer when the compressor (van's original 500 series Sanden) front seal started slow leaking. Just hadn't gotten around to either getting a new compressor or seeing if there was any repair that could be done. Been mostly coastal in SoCal this summer so hadn't had to endure too much baking heat. But a few weeks ago, I had to go to South Central LA to work on a story, then sit in downtown LA traffic at around 100 degrees. Ridiculous heat and not too professional or comfortable showing up to interview someone sweaty as hell.

So I was going to buy a new 700 series Sanden compressor and get on with the fix. Then cleaning out the garage, I found a 700 series Sanden in a box that a gentleman -- and I remember who it was, but THANKS A LOT-- gave me at SDM in 02. He had done a Subie conversion and didn't need it. So, I pulled my old 500 model, and put in this old one -- tho it appeared to be in great shape. All I had to do was grind about a mm off the compressor mount to get it to slide in place of the 500 and everything bolted exactly up as it did on the 500. Took it to Canyon German in Laguna, and had Brett vacuum and give it an oil charge and a fullshot of 134. (Already had it 134 converted b4 I bought it).

Whoosh. Cold. No leaks and the old compressor seems to work like new. Knock on wood. Today, back up to downtown LA today and driving in pure comfort. If you've got a Westy with rear AC, I also strongly recommend a small oscilating fan right behind your head to circulate the air better to the front.

Few things will make you feel more together more than driving a 1987 Westy with a working AC. For what it's worth, mine seems to cool well enuf with 134 in a stock Westy rear AC. Thermometer only shows around 45 degrees at vents, but even with the adventurewagen top, that was enuf last summer to keep the van cool in Phoenix on fan setting 3 of 4. Before doing this, I did a lot of research on "Freeze 12" and other R12 and 134 substitutes. If your conversion's done right, I'd steer clear of anything other than 134, or spend a bankload and re R12 yourself. (or if you're in SoCal, recharge your R12 van in mexico for a few bucks). Most of these R12 or 134 substitutes are a mixture of refrigerants. With Freeze 12, for example, if you have a slow leak, the light refrigerant, which carries and circulates the R12 oil thru your system, bleeds out first, leaving you with nothing but R134 anyway. If you've just put the Freeze 12 in to replace your R12, then youv'e got a problem, because 134 doesn't circulate R12 oil well enuf and your compressor will go kaput.

Anyway, just a ramble from a place where cooler heads have prevailed. DIXON