Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Aug 2005 21:22:48 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Fri:  If not a vanagon - What kind of van

>Is there a modern alternative to a Vanagon?? A vanagon like van??? > >In driving cross country this summer, my (wonderful) wife and I >began thinking about a new van. >We talked a lot about the CDN Eurovan Diesel only to find out that >VW does NOT import the Eurovan >any more. I hunted on the net, and called local dealers, for a >Toyota or Nisson or Mazda van but >could not find any. From my limited research, I could find ONLY >American vans. > >I'm talking about Vanagon like vans, NOT mini-vans for hauling kids to soccor. > >I know that the Japaneese car makers make vanagon like vans, >( http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10877957/Toyota_Hiace_Van.html ) >Seemingly they are NOT imported to Canada?? And I wnat a 5 speed diesel.

You could import one directly from Japan. Have a look in the nearest large city public library for a copy of "The Japanese Yellow Pages", or was it "Japan Yellow Pages"? In there you'll find details of numerous parts & vehicle exporters.

You'd have a huge choice of Nissans, Mazdas, Mitsubishis... all of which are OK at best... and Toyotas.

You want a 3-liter turbodiesel Hiace? Available in these variants:

SWB basic van RWD, 4WD LWB basic van, minibus RWD, 4WD, flat-floor (small rear wheels) XLW basic high-roof van, bus or luxury, RWD or 4WD Custom (SWB), luxury Super Custom (SWB only), luxury, all the bells & whistles, torsionbar rear-end

Earlier 4WDs are parttime, later are fulltime. Most upmarket Hiaces in Japan are auto, but manuals can be found.

Engine choices: 2.0 gas 2.4 gas 2.4 turbodiesel 2.8 diesel 3.0 EFI turbodiesel

... I kinda like the idea of an XLWB 4WD with a 3.0 twin-turbo Toyota Supra engine (2JZ-T) or 4.0 Celsior engine... I know that there's a 4.0-converted van in town, but I've never seen it.

The 3.0 is reputed to be a flier, despite what "Wheels" has asid about the Prado fitted with the same engine (1KZ-T).

The new Hiace, just out this year, continues the forward-control cabover layout, but is larger, with a wide-bodied variant. I don't know what options it has in Japan (too early yet for used examples to make their way into NZ), but "Wheels" did a handling comparison (it easily outhandled a Prado, especially in the slalom, though they thought it was a very poor handler), and apparently its 2.5-liter DOHC EFI common-rail diesel is outperformed by the VW T5's diesel five.

>As far as japanese vans go, we can get 15 year old used japanese domestic >market vehicles in Canada.

Why so old? Not ateh these vehicles don't age very well, but these small cabovers only ceased production 2-3 years ago.

>The town ace, master ace hi ace etc. Most imported ones seem to be 4wd >turbo diesels.

No Hiaces? If not, why not??

>The common engine in these vans seems to be the 2 liter 2C-T turbo diesel, >which sounds good on paper but it only puts out >84 hp and 127 lb/ft of torque. Power wise, it's not really an upgrade compared to the vanagon.

The 2C-T goes really well in cars eg Camrys, but for some reason not so well in small vans. They are notorious for cracking heads, though this can be alleviated by fitting a fat (2.5") exhaust.

>mercedes used to sell a van over >in europe called an MB100 ..looked a lot like a vanagon, but had seats for 9. but they never imported it over here.

The MB100 is made in Korea. I suspect that it's a Ssangyong design rather than Mercedes, thoug it uses Mercedes drivetrains. It's a crude vehicle (even though, like the Kia Pregio, stylingwise it's a botched Hiace-ripoff), FWD, inline engine (handling must be plow-understeer at best) and a LIVE rear axle. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut

HUMANITY: THE ULTIMATE VON NEUMANN MACHINE

DEMOCRACY: RULE BY THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR