Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:10:41 -0700
From:         Preston Grimes <87westy@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stolen Syncro FOUND!!

That is great news. This theft has been on my mind since it was announced here because I live in the same neighborhood. My own pride and joy has been parked on the street with only one break-in through the passenger wing window in three years since I bought it. I feel like it's only a matter of time before my Westy's number will come up for some kind of street-crime incident. I noticed Adam and Juli's distinctive gold Syncro, with the small trailer, SA grill, and bull bumpers, for the first time only about a month or two ago, and have been keeping my eyes peeled for it since it was stolen.

Currently, I have a "Club" on the steering wheel, dark tinted windows except up front where it's illegal, and a faceplate stereo that I keep in the house except on longer trips. I put my hopes for securing my Westy in the overall "spare" appearance of the Vanagon inside and out, and the fact that very few criminals would want to jet away in a lumbering slowpoke that is easily recognizable. Still, the prospect of someone stealing or vandaling my car requires some new action (and no, I'm not moving to small-town America)

I've been making plans to set up "The World's Best DIY Immobiliser".<http://www.rx7club.com/printthread.php?t=252949>(Thanks to the listee who mentioned this solution) and a motion sensor alarm. My Westy is parked directly in front of my house 95% of the time. I'm home a fair amount, and might be able to call police quickly upon seeing a crime against my vehicle in progress. My garage door is too low to park the Westy, otherwise that's where it would live.

I'm so glad it's been recovered. I'll be interested to hear the full account when it becomes available.