Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Aug 2005 05:15:34 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: (no subject)

FWIW some of the fancy cars I sometimes used to see at my old job had switches underneath the floor carpet up where it's easy to reach that had to be actively held down in order to start the car. It was a push button on switch like a doorbell in that it was on "engaged" when actively depressed.

I assume they were just a kill switch for the starter. And I know it had to be actively held down for the starter to run--this of course in combination with turning the ignition key. The driver knew "exactly" where the carpet had to be pushed and assumably no one else could easily find it--til the carpet wore out in that spot ;)

(In a sports car set up remember the reach to the floor carpeted area is pretty close because you're sitting low unlike in the Vanagon.)

I'm not so sure this is the best set up, but I'm just passing it on . Seems if the theives jumped the starter or even better jump started the car ---you know by rolling and popping the clutch--they'd be on their way.

And so a kill switch for the fuel pump or the ignition system or what have you may be more effective BUT and it's a big but, what happens the night you forget to flip the kill switch as you get out of the bus to go to sleep.

The kill switch for the fuel pump is only as good as the last time you exit the vehicle. And the most painful part of getting your bus stolen would be endlessly wondering if you forgot to flip the switch when you got out or if the thief found it--or worse your wife told them where it was when she hired them.

I wonder if it'd be over kill to have a started kill that had to be actively depressed to allow the starter to turn over AND a kill switch for the fuel pump.

Incidently I've had kill switches on cars and it does give you peace of mind, and I think appropriatly so.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA