Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Aug 2005 08:35:08 -0500
From:         VWNut Hawk <vwnut@HAWKCOMPUTING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas Caps
Comments: To: lalofs@rcn.com

Thanks Larry. I'm glad I don't have to mess with the testing down here in the middle of Illinois.

>>> Larry Alofs <lalofs@rcn.com> 8/13/2005 3:59:53 PM >>> Hi, Recently got one at Autozone: CST 6808 Non-locking Fuel Cap $9.99

I got it at a store here in Chicago, but it also shows in their on-line catalog, autozone.com

When I bought my '91 GL about 8 or 9 years ago, there was a rag stuffed in where the cap should be. I went to the dealer and got the locking cap. After a few months Vinnie and I were summoned for his emissions testing. They tried various adapters on their computerized gas cap tester but none of them sealed correctly. Finally they called the manager over and he gave it a "visual inspection" and pass. This same process was repeated at each inspection since then, every two years. This year I decided to save some time and hassle and bought the cap described above before going for the emissions test. We passed the dyno test very easily and got a "Quick Pass" after only about a quarter of the sequence. Went down to the end of the line where they print out the certificate and the guy said "You have to go to the office. Your gas cap failed." I told him that the cap was only 2 hours old and expressed my opinion

about their testing equipment, but I still had to go the office. The woman there looked at the cap, listened to my complaint, put the cap on and off the van, fiddled with her computer for a while, and gave it a visual pass. Oh well,

Larry A.

VWNut Hawk wrote: > I'm having problems with the cap being on too tight and the twisting then breaking. > I think I'd rather just have a non locking gas cap. > Where can I get these? >