Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:54:05 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Secirity
Comments: To: John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>

One of the old 80s Westy I bought to restore and sell had the ignition (solenoid) run through the reverse light switch. The van had to be in reverse to start. After it started it could be in any gear and continue to run. I bought this van from a dealer that told me nothing because he bought the car from a donation action and he knew nothing about the van except it whipped his mechanic so he wholesaled it to me. After tinkering with it off and on for 3 years they gave up. There are all types of 12v Automatic Garage opener / building security / gate operator systems that one could easily wire into an automobile power circuit and actuate with a hand held clicker. I'd estimate that the system could be put together for less than $50.00 retail.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Bange" <jbange@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 12:35 AM

> I've been thinking about Westy security....considering an ignition kill > switch....don't think theves are going to tow a Westy....need > recommendations as to the proper equipment, location, and the best > procedure... >

One could whip up a simple but mighty effective starter solenoid interrupter with a spst switch, some wire, and one each of a male and female spade connector. mount the switch under the rear seat and you'd only need a couple feet of wire, run through one of the bulkhead grommets. Location of the switch is the hard part. Thieves will start looking for such a switch close to the driver's seat, as that's where it'd be easiest for YOU to use it. The farther away you mount it, the more effective-- but also the more trouble to use. Kind of a trade off. I was originally going to mount my fuel pump cutoff switch INSIDE the B pillar, accessible through the vent hole when the door's open, but I wanted to be able to kill the pump while on the move in case of fire (also, I couldn't think of a good way to mount it)