Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:44:11 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Favourite Modifications
Comments: To: rrecardo@WEBTV.NET

I liked my El Cheapo instant privacy curtains I installed for my trip down the Alaska Highway once.

I picked up some cheap (like a couple of bucks for a set of four) short window curtains at Wally World, got some stick-in-place velcro and put velcro tabs on the metal above and below the windows, and in the same spots on the curtains. Instant side and rear curtains and relative privacy.

For the front end I got an adjustible length shower curtain rod, drilled through the ends and put a piece of wire through the holes and hung the rod by the wire loops on the coat-hanger tabs on the door posts. Slipped some of the El Cheapo curtains on the rod and at night or when ever privacy was needed I just hung the rod with it's curtains up on the hanger tabs, and that provided privacy to the whole area behind the front seats. If I needed access to something up front I just parted the curtains and grabbed for it. Worked great for the whole trip. After the trip was done, I removed the tabs from the metal and just cleaned it off with alcohol.

The total curtain thing gave great privacy when in place.

I also made an emergency honeybucket from one of those plastic plaster buckets, and it worked great. I cut a seat for it from 3/4 inch plywood by first cutting a disk of appropriate diameter, then with a router cut the hole out of the middle. next I cut a groove with the router so the seat would snap down on the rim of the bucket and not slide. I tripple lined the bucket with plastic bags to absolutely insure no leakage, and folded a the bags down over the rim. The wood seat would hold them in place when the plastic lid was off. When the bucket was not in use, I snapped the regular bucket lid down on the bucket, holding the plastic bags in place. The wooden seat was kept stored in it's own plastic bag until needed. Disposal consisted of closing the bags one by one and sealing them separately one inside the other, then depositing at an appropriate facility. Bear in mind that this was an emergency honeybucket and was used infrequently, as stops could be made along the way where there were facilities, and campgrounds always had facilities. But this rustic device was satisfactory to all who had to used it on the journey.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver