Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:45:52 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Kill Switches: Question: Does Defense attract Offence ???
Comments: To: rrecardo@WEBTV.NET

I think this subject is more relevant for the "Cars" and other that aren't worth buying full coverage insurance on than on Lexus or other expensive cars with bank notes packed in the trunks. (Worth insuring? That's a matter of your values when you know the insurance company would only pay 50% valuation on a theft or total loss or they may try to total it for 25% of the real valve.) My attitude is 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing. Insurance has saved my buns many times and I was just fortunate that I newer had any body damage on my Westy because I'd just had to write it off and remove the best parts before I crushed it. I think most list members could absorb a $1000.00 kick but not a 5 to 10K$ hit with a total loss as in a theft or total crash. I bought full coverage insurance on my 911 Carrera with a agreed replacement value of $16,000.00. That's not enough because the market is up into the 20s but I bought the insurance knowing I couldn't leave this car overnight on an Interstate with a flat tire or minor mechanical problem. Cars like this simply don't last overnight on the side of the road, they're scooped up pretty quickly. I got a discount for storing the car in a garage. I got a discount for having an alarm system that disabled the ignition. I got a discount for using a "CLUB". Of course I got discounts for having it insured with two other cars, owning a home, being over 35 with no tickets in 15 years, All in all full coverage on the Porsche worked out to less than $700.00 a year, about the same as my 83 Westy if I had ever purchased the policy on it.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Cardo" <rrecardo@WEBTV.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 10:36 AM Subject: Re: Kill Switches: Question: Does Defense attract Offence ???