Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:56:49 -0700
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Broken Stebro Muffler Bracket / Malcolm's trip

--- Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

> I had a bracket welded from the end tip to the frame, bolted right up to the frame. seems solid > at this point.

I have been told that attaching the exhaust pipes, or the muffler or the tail pipe to the FRAME is NOT a good idea, as the engine vibrates upon startup, and at idle, & while running, all DIFFERENTLY than the frame vibrates, so it is just a matter if time before some part of the exhaust system will break. The design is to have the exhaust system bolted to the engine so they can vibrate as a unit.

Secondly, re Tabe Johnson's questions; I did get about 2 years out of the fiber doughnut thingy, but then I only drive the van about 2 months each summer. It is now sounding a bit throaty and I will replace it when I replace the muffler. I do have a metal doughnut that I will try.

FWIW, actually BOTH brackets broke on the Stebro and I had them welded just prior to my trip (as I did not have time for a replacement), hoping to make it though this trip, but ONE bracket came adrift again, and I used a coat hanger to try and keep the muffler from bouncing around too much and breaking the second weld and, seemingly, I was successful. Yes, Stebro will replace the muffler, BUT IMHO paying SO MUCH for a muffler that breaks and that then costs me a weld job and either the PITA of taking it off and on myself, or my mechanic's wages to do it for me, plus shipping costs, is NOT a good recommendation for Stebro.

I will wait till after this autumn's camping trip then send it to Stebro for a replacement. Malcolm

____________________________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs