Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:57:34 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Automatic Trans. problems; Advice Needed!

What condition is the fluid in? Does it look old? If brand new,maybe it was just changed and the old fluid was really bad.From what you say,when engaged, the trans will,work ok. First, I would start the engine and place the trans in drive with the parking brake applied (very well). Keep it running for about 45 minutes. If it will now engage freely in all the gears, the valve body is probably dirty.You can probably drive it to the emission test now.What I would do to fix this is first change the filter and fluid to see the condition of the filter.At this point, you probably have little to loose. With the pan off, the valve body can be easily removed. I do mean easily. This can be swapped with another valve body that is known to be in better condition.I think any water cooled engine valve body will work.The valve body from another vw or audi 5000 will probably also work.Check the archives.Know of any old vw's that are just sitting around , unused? The valve body seems to be easily dissembled and cleaned however I have never done this.Just lots of parts to keep track of is the biggest part it seems. These steps beat the hel* out of dropping that transaxel, and installing a new one by sept 1 will be a marathon.