Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:24:03 -0700
From:         Chris Renz <aircooledchris@EUCASAFARI.VENDIOWEB.COM>
Subject:      good sand or offroad tires?

I have stock 14 inch rims and just looking for a good tire that I could use in slightly sandy area's and places with a lot of loose/rough rocks and downed branches.

I have taken our current road tires through this area (a lot, our new favorite place) but we spin the tires quite a bit sometimes trying to get out of certain area's...

I know that I need something with a reinforced sidewall, as well as a tire rated to hold at least 1500 lbs.

In looking through the tire list at roadhaus, I came across a number of posts referencing a tire size as : 27X8.5QR14

I had always looked only online at tires with sidewall markings of 185/R/14 and thats it, which doesnt give me many hits.

Can I really use these 27X8.5QR14 tires instead and if so, whats the difference?

I told myself id never send a tire question to the list without looking everyone else that I could first, but I just can't find where anyone actually breaks down the difference between these.

FYI, im currently looking at some Kumho Venture MT's in the size range mentioned above. Not too bad of a price and from the specs, should suit our needs (ok, wants) pretty well. Thoughts?

thanks, chris.