Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:24:30 -0400
From:         David Bohannan <fjazzbass@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Very Long...What am I,
              nuts? New 85 and Philosophy of Car ownership...very long

All,

As I am sure those that saw my email last week or so remember, I just pulled a 150 dollar vanagon from IL to FL. I ended up getting a flat bed to put it on so as to not injure anything considering I knew nothing about this vehicle and only drove it about 3 miles at max speed of 30 or so...

My question is related to the Vanagon in general as a vehicle and the philosophy I should approach in owning 2 of these vehicles. Is it worth keeping and working on or should I pass it on to someone who may have more time/money to deal with it...and just keep the 2 vehicles I have...

The new one, which has not yet proven itself seems to have an oil leak, (2 drips on the driveway from center of pan) need some new exhaust components but other than that, it is pretty stinkin' straight. Very little rust, and not your normal northern style either...it must have been garaged for winters...

My philosophy has always been to have older cars, have multiples so that when one goes down, you have 2 more to drive etc...this makes it easier for planned outages as well...The problem with that here in FL is that the cost of insurance is pretty high and having old vehicles that you know are going to be out of service for certain times seems kind of wasteful.

My other vehicle besides the 2 85's is a Ford full size van...crappy mileage etc...I may sell it depending on the reviews from this list.

I am sort of in a quandry about what to do. I am in the position where if I don't spend any more money on this thing that I am only 300 bucks in the hole and it paid for itself in what I could pack in it for the move from IL to FL.

I love these old vans, but I am afraid I am not being as wise as I should be for dollars to dollars...I just did the heads on my other 85 and ended up costing a fair chunk of change...Nothing forced me to do this, but I did it because I saw a tiny leak and knew what I had and wanted to invest in having it for a longer period of time...what should my attitude be with the new one? Run the new one into the ground because I can? Help! Just need some good stewardship advice!!!

Dave 85 GL "Baby Bus" 85 "Nameless until I hammer this out"