Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Aug 2005 06:48:00 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Tire Report
Comments: To: vanagon@egroups.com, limbolist@egroups.com,
          The_Bug_Pack@yahoogroups.com, ev_update@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: roadguy@roadhaus.com

Tire report - Euro-Metric Radials - M&S - 205 70R/14 95T - Tread: 2 ply steel + 1 ply Polyester - Sidewall: 2 ply Polyester - Max load 690 kg ~ 1521 lbs @ 300 kps ~ 44 psi max pressure - Treadwear 340 - Traction A - Temp B. I know, not a common tire but they have come up on the Lists before. These tires should be avoided is the summary. I acquired them with a set of 14" CARAT alloy that I bought from Chris Turner. The tires were brand new and seemed to have the proper load rating although only a 2 ply sidewall as indicated on the tires. I decided to use them and see how they worked. At first they seemed just fine making their first road trip to EveryBus 2004. Sometime during the summer of 2004 one of them had a belt problem that made that tire out of round and caused vibration. I swapped it out for the spare as the set had 5 new tires. As time went on I noticed that the side walls were showing more and more signs of lumpiness but still drove and handled just fine. Well, over the past month they all have become pretty much lumpy. Now they all seem to have some level of belt separation and lumpiness which has induce much vibration at different speeds. Short of it is these tires are useless for a Vanagon Westy. They are being removed and replaced with a set of Michelin LTX 195's as soon as the they arrive at COSTCO Ottawa. Price of $138.99 CND installed & balanced I was quoted was the best deal in town. Just more fuel for the tire fire !

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy, '90 Carat & Lionel Trains Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) or http://frankcondelli.com _STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 09 ~ 12, 2005