Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:24:26 -0700
From:         joe brown <uastar2@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      85 GL with Digitool Dash console For Sale

For Sale VW 85 Vanagon GL (Not a Camper, doesn’t have the rear seat that folds into a bed either.) Rust Free, the van has no undercoating so you can see how clean it is. It has the normal seam rust that has been treated each year. Beige in color. Middle seat is gone. Over the 5 years I have owned it the following improvements have been made: Alloy wheels with 30% Michelin Agilis 2 extra Alloy wheels with new correct snow tires from Bus Depot Brakes totally rebuilt 5 years ago with new hoses and calipers in front and new hoses and cylinders in back. New parking cables also. Interior is good, above average. A couple panels have a small tear. All 4 ball joints and the tie rod ends replaced. Control arm bushings replaced also. The old bushings used to squeak when it was cold, the new ones now squeak when it is hot and humid. New Speedometer and cable. I assume the van has about 160K on it? Rear 3 point seatbelts, new from VW. New Shocks ( inexpensive KYB’s) Hella H4 headlights w/relay. Newer cassette player, with imput for remote CD changer, and decent speakers. New turn signal switch, and horn ring. Windshield has a 2 small dings. Van has one small dent above radiator. Front heater blower does not work, it is siezed. Rear heater core is new. All new coolant hoses except for the ones that go up to the front heater core. I used the heater hose kit from Van-again. All new fuel lines,I again used the kit from Van-again. The fuel tank will have a small drip if totally filled up, so I only totally filled it if I was going to drive at least 15 miles. Of course it spits back at you when it’s filled up, if you fill it too fast. New Clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. New rear seal, but it still leaks. New water pump. Bosch rebuilt starter Bosch rebuilt alternator AC has been converted to R-134, but the AC is such a load on the engine that I didn’t use it. It now needs recharged. New Hall sender in distributor. Recent lube of the CV joint, all new boots

Engine: I was told and given reciepts for a top end rebuild. It included new pistons and cylinders. Head pitting was welded up and the heads rebuilt with new valves. Never a leak from the head gaskets. I’ve used Prestone Orange. Van runs great, but the rear seal leaks after a long run. The last few years the engine will usually makes a strange noise when warmed up. The best description I have heard is that it sounds like marbles rattling in a tin can. I assume from what I have read that the main bearing supports are worn. In other words it probably needs line bored and engine rebuilt.Strange thing is is that after a long hot run the engine sounds great. The oil pressure switch needs replaced, but it is hard to get to without breaking head exhaust bolts. When the oil pressure light did work, it did not light at idle, but I still don’t have much faith in the engine bottom end. A lifter will make noise if the engine is ran for less than about 5 minutes, so I make a point to run engine for at least that long if I start it. The exhaust has cracked before and has been welded. The Digitool dash console that I built from Darrell’s old web site looks like this: http://home.alltel.net/uastar2/dashconsole1.jpg It works great. 2 extra ECU’s (non-wired) included. Reason for selling is I have a new Chevy Crewcab and the van needs more work and money than I want to put into it. But if it doesn’t sell I’ll probably drive it until the engine does fail and then throw a new rebuilt engine in. Van is located in Nebraska City, Nebraska 402-873-4788 $2000 with dash console, $1500 without or best reasonable offer.