Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:14:43 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Recaro seats @ 2K

>In a message dated 8/16/05 10:49:34 PM, chuckphoto@EARTHLINK.NET writes: > ><< Has anyone invested in a pair of Recaro seats? Are they worth the >money? Any pros or cons? >> > >My experience with Recaro's has gotten a little moldy, so I cannot say much >about their current offerings. At one time they were an excellent seat . . . >for the short haul. On a long trip, what made them a great seat >also made them >unacceptable. No seat would hold you more securely for whipping through some >twisties on a starlit night, but when pounding the pavement, they would >become too restrictive after a couple of hundred miles. > >Now, the best seat for long ass hauling which I ever sat on is the GM police >package sofa; front, that is, the urine soaked back seat isn't anything to get >excited about especially with the handcuff thing going on. The second best >would be the front armchairs Peugeot used to put in the 504 diesel.

Yep... seats which you slide across at the least hint of cornering. Brings my 57 panel to mind...

>Assuming you want the Recaro's for a Vanagon, they seem a bit incongruous. I >think something from a Mack might be more appropriate.

Not at all. These vans can generale significant lateral accelerations. I had a fiberglass rally bucket in my 75 Bay; it was very snug, and did not allow any lateral movement of the driver. Due to the van's seat mounts the thing had to sit about 5cm higher than the stock seat, which meant a bit of a squeeze getting the legs in between the lower bolsters and wheel. It was a cheapo shell which I had upholstered. They screwed-up the fabrics but got the foam just right. It was very confortable for a 5-hour drive.

I fully intend to put the same seat (with some new upholstery) into the T3.

I also have a wider version, but never got around to fitting it... dunno what to do with it. I can't see my wife climbing up and into it! And once in, she'd probably have trouble getting back out... -- Regards Andrew