Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:31:30 -0400
From:         Wil Haslup <wil@CHARMFX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rust repair? and starter replacement

Ed Wiebe wrote: > I've been a Westy owner now for two and a half years. We, Alice and I really enjoy it, and have learned a lot on this list. > My question is, what should be done to stop rust from invading the van again after a Por15 job and paint job. If you go to the following site the pictures show the area that had the most rust. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ewiebe/4182626/in/set-774644/ > Is it best to work on it now, or wait? > On another note, the van left me stranded today in Duncan - no starter, battery was good. I got a towtruck to get me to Canadian Tire - they asked what year the van was (1990) and refused to even look at it. The tow then took me to a small place across town called "Very Wise Repairs" The fellow specializes in VWs. > He took me in right away - tried a number of things, solenoid, brushes to no avail. > He had a new Bosch starter available which he put in in half an hour. > Starter $176.00, Half hour labour $35.98. With taxes, total$241.68. > I would recommend this shop to anyone in the area. > > Ed Wiebe

I replaced my starter/solenoid shortly after I bought my '80. I replaced the ignition switch shortly after that. Both because of no start conditions. That was 4-5 years ago.

Recently I had a few no starts in a row. Deciding that a start/solenoid/ign. switch should last longer than 4-5 years I considered a few options. I bought the Bosch starter relay kit and installed it.

No problems since. Sad but true...starter designs seem to demand better grounds.

--

Wil

-- http://www.charmfx.com/

"Most people wouldn't know music if it came up and bit them on the ass." -- Frank Zappa