Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:27:25 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: optima vs 27DC-6?

> I've been told the walmart (not sure the maker, do they private label?) > 27DC-6 is also perfectly good, fits just fine, and at $55 a whole lot cheaper. I > hate the big box on principle, but a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks. > Anyone tried this one? Comments?

The PO of my van put one of those in six months or so before I bought it. Seems like a perfectly serviceable battery. I've run it down a little lower than I should have forgetting to unplug my 12V peltier cooled ice chest after arriving at my destination and it seems none the worse for it. It indeed fits in the battery box well, although the one I have doesn't have that lip at the base the locking bar clamps down on so the bar had to be flipped over to hold it from the top-- sitting like the letter 'L' rather than a lowercase 'r', if you will. Dunno if they've changed the design to fix that. Probably not. Even so, probably a great deal at $55. I'm finally going to start up my Vanagon this weekend after 8 months of non-functionality while I replaced the engine, transmission, and hoses. We'll see how well it works after being neglected and then charged.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon "Keine Bange, wir holen die Zange!"